Friday, July 7, 2017

Gematria Debunked By Capitonyms

I find myself yearning for a simpler, happier time. Before I found the suggestion of custom (misnamed) ciphers virtually making it possible for any word to make it be any total you want it to be. Maybe I'm just bitter that before that I spent some time on another -nym. Capitonyms.




The meaning of capitonym is pretty obvious. Because this is the way language works, not some nearly infinitely powered though utterly confusing knuckleheads designing our language to make numbers out of words. It has to do with capital letters.


Some capitonyms have the same etymological roots. Because that's the way real language works. Words that change meaning by capitalization. He hit his 500th homerun, and now he is in some august company. He hit it on August 13th. I can almost see how some NIPTUCK would allow that. But now add this statement to the narrative. He will march to the podium in March to receive his hall of fame entry. Not to bad. Maybe etymologically related (I'm not looking it up). Mars, god of war, soldiers march into battle. Now: His friend Dan presented him with a set of porcelain Chinese dinnerware. And they celebrated by bobbing for apples. China from China. The china from China. You can bob for your apples with Dan who has the exact same simple gematria as Bob, nickname for Robert. Let's throw in eating some turkey from Turkey into the festivities for good measure.


There's a reason why we capitalize proper names. We, I mean normal people. Numerologists use it as another excuse to justify a different total by using the (misnamed) Francis Bacon cipher. It should really be called the "add 26 to the total because I didn't get the number I wanted" cheat. Capitonyms by definition are words that change contextual meaning by capitalization of the first letter. Something you lose because you can't capitalize '1' if you are dealing with just numbers.


I saw a comment suggest Reverse Francis Bacon. Naturally nobody suggested that it was a stupid idea. Because suggesting that gematria on something like 'cHARLES DE gAULLE' makes all kinds of fucking sense. You win a cookie.



No comments:

Post a Comment