Friday, December 1, 2017

Ghost of Maroczy, Part 2

I've made the analogy that numerology is the equivalent of a psychic cold reading with substituting "the spirit told me" with "the numbers told me". So now Pamela Vandemont has presented herself as an expert in number forensics that yippee whoop de doo tells us something we already know. I suppose we are to believe conventional forensics got the right result, but for the wrong reason. She didn't make any money off of it.


Although I would like the Geza Maroczy story to be more numerological keeping in the <cough cough> spirit, of this blog, the psychic tie in allows me to demonstrate the reasons for "reporting after the fact" about a topic that interests me. Chess. A subplot is the tendency of people paying attention to things they are interested. I heard of Geza before this story broke. I expect that my readers mostly or completely had no idea who he was. Another subplot is the regular insinuation that myself and Harry Butts are "paid for trolls". When in fact I'm being annoying on my own time because this is a topic that interests. By splitting this into two posts I've doubled my income from $0 to 2x$0=$0! Yeah, me!


Geza was a top Hungarian chess grandmaster, famous enough to have a variation of the Sicilian defense be named after him. One day, a Swiss psychic got the bright idea to have a chess match between a top living grandmaster and the restless spirit of a dead one. Viktor Korchnoi, after the psychic battle of his world championship match with Karpov (a fiasco that made the drama of Fischer vs. Spassky look like a love story) was up for it as a member of Team Live. After the top two choices of dead world champions declined, Maroczy signed on for Team Dead. Not realizing that LIVES and DEATHS have the same numerology.


The game took years to complete. The psychic would lose his connection to the spirit and it dragged on. Korchnoi ended up the Viktor in the single game as Maroczy gave up the ghost in a lost endgame. (Puns, like the Harry Potter in part 1, something I'm interested in.)


In the world of chess when a game ends there's a post mortem analysis. Figure out where one side went wrong. REPORTING AFTER THE FACT WHEN THE GAME IS OVER. Assuming the players have time and don't hate each others guts, like Karpov and Korchnoi. The ghost of Maroczy, literally not having any guts refused to participate in this. So the game was spread throughout the chess world with it being mostly regarded as being less than grandmasterly overall.


And when challenged on what was the reason that Maroczy played sort of averagish Team Dead said the old psychic standby. Well you can't prove it WASN'T Geza's ghost. Shifting the burden of proof to the side that doesn't really need to prove the claim.


As numerology has no proof of any of their bold claims, they do this a lot. There's simply no way to prove that it was Geza Ghost. It's "Because I told you so.". 58 means freemason because I told you so.


I've already figured out how I would have created the scam scenario if I wanted to duplicate it. But even if it was a spirit, how can you be sure it wasn't really the ghost of Efim Bogolyubov. Hey, Capablanca's ghost, I played chess with Korchnoi. And I told them I was Maroczy! Tee Hee! Or future Ian Rogers (had to work an Australian reference in. Triple income.) traveling psychically back through time to screw around with Korchnoi.


There is a sort of equivalent to forensic analysis in chess. The traditional post mortem can still lead to subjective arguments on what the losing move actually was. There are chess problems and problem puzzles have a devoted fan base. White to force checkmate in three moves. And there's a subset of chess problems called retrograde analysis. You can be presented with an ending position and logically recreate the previous moves that lead up to that position. They're tough. But since chess has RULES you can solve them. Without subjectivity. Gematria doesn't have rules. And like Maroczy's ghost can't prove anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment