Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Call Me A Coincidence Theorist

If I obsessed over every tiny detail in regards to whether it was a coincidence or not, I would do nothing but obsess about every tiny detail being a coincidence. But I guess it's a bad thing. "Coincidence Theorist" is thrown around as a derogatory term which seems to boil down to, "you don't agree with my wild theory because you're too stupid."


Not my intended starting point. But, well, it happened and it sure seems like a remarkable coincidence. I, as usual, reached a point where I was unable to sleep. Dog, freshly peed out and resting comfortably. I turn on my TV. X-Files, 2am PHL17 on Comcast, episode, "War of the Coprophages". Themes involve, coincidences, obsession and reasons that people do the things they do.


I like the X-Files. So instead of it being some useless infomercial trying to sell me magic spring water to cure my financial debt situation, I'll check out what it is. I don't remember this episode. I am should be either fascinated or revolted by the title. I have the misfortune of knowing what a corprophage is without having to look it up. So you don't have to, let's just say that for a period of time if someone tells me to eat shit, I will regard that to also be a coincidence. Which is part of the point. My life experiences include formal scientific schooling. I know the etymology of copro- and -phage. Even if I didn't specifically see the word and instantly know, I'd be able to piece it together. Which might only be useful watching Jeopardy. Which had a contestant recently with the last name, "Jumper". Not a particularly common name. What a coincidence. Except that I watch Jeopardy all the time. And shit happens. A phrase I've taken to using specifically lately in regards to coincidences, here. My, what a coincidence. I blogged about Alexa Davalos the day before her TV series being a clue on Jeopardy. My, that was freaky. It was supposed to be just a random name, and chosen because I doubted anybody but me would know her without looking her up. I watched the Doctor Who Christmas special yesterday. A key plot point was the Christmas Truce of World War 1. The day after I blogged about it. Hmmm...maybe there's something about Christmas. Let me think. A friend got me little Debbie Cream Pies as a Christmas gift. I've blogged about them. And recently she asked me what "ectoparasites" are. Because the rescue shelter inspection listed them. So I shared that among the other things lampreys, a recurring topic here, are also ectoparasites in addition to the fleas that were being referenced on the inspection report.


Stop right there. I could go on forever, because I expect that I have far more coincidences than most people. I have a near photographic memory for remembering things I want to. And a substantial amount of...shit...I have no need to remember.




I would call the X files thing a coincidence. The Alexa Davalos thing an even more remarkable coincidence. The cream pies, nah. That was blogged about ages ago. My friends knows that for a rare sugary treat that's my favorite. The lampreys, no. She knows my scientific background and the lamprey argument. My response was tailored because I knew that. Lampreys are something personal to pretty much just me.




Think about that word 'personal'. It's no coincidence that lampreys mean something to me. If someone reads this, turns on the TV and sees something about lampreys, they're bound to think, "I just saw something about that! What a coincidence!" So, one persons coincidences aren't the same as those of someone else. Which is part of the X files show theme on tonight (which also had a commercial for Crime Watch, The Black Widower with the investigator calling something a coincidence), about why people know the things they know. And by no coincidence the subjectivity at the heart of the lamprey argument.


Feel free to be a bit lost. That's part of the point.


Great. Now we have to decide on exactly what qualifies as a coincidence or not. Another layer of obscurity in the muddled morass of gematria illogic. Where they can't even reach an agreement on what a number means, because they can't.


Turning back to yesterday, our family gathering. "What's going on?", they want to know. Well, I watched Doctor Who. And my numerology friends have been talking coincidences. And I explain how I proved that something as simple as the stark reality of CARL NASSIB =98 (Reference, Return of the Chosen One) and I find out he played for Penn State. Amidst a crowd of Penn State fans. Where I received my Bachelor's Degree in a scientific field. Carl was picked by a brute force method of crunching entire rosters of bad teams. The Browns MIGHT win a single game this year, any chance depending on if the Steelers rest their starters. But certainly nobody ever considered him to be THE CHOSEN ONE = 98 on a crappy team. (Of course ELI MANNING =98, MARK DAVIS =98 and SEAN LEE =98 aren't going to be Super Bowl champs, either). But thanks for the mind fuck. I really didn't need another coincidence.


98 is a rarity where a specific number was identified as meaning something of numerological significance. The weekly football thread on Free to Find Misinformation is comical. And not just the Harry Butts mocking them with his long parodies of manufactured, forced matches. Predictions are made at times. Some right, some wrong. Sometimes the numerology of both sides pro and con is shown. (PRO=49, CON=49) and then a guess is made wondering about how deep the script is, and the picks made for non numerological reasons. Why bother? You can't even agree if 98 should mean something for Carl Nassib vs. Tom Brady. Of course you're going to get conflict in information with the huge database of sports statistics. Best to just do the Hubbard method of simply stop predicting and reporting after the fact. Hindsight reporting looks less silly than being wrong based on a flawed system.


And then there's a number like 33. I really wish I fucking knew what that was supposed to mean. It seems to be vaguely evil, but it's so common that it's everywhere. If I obsess over just when 33 is supposed to mean something versus the mundane everyday occurrence of things 33 I would do nothing but obsess about 33. Then inevitably make my decision beyond numerological reasons. The same way I dismiss the Browns chances of making the Super Bowl, I decide that ORANGE =33 is just a color and not care about it.


I have no doubt that some people have things that seem far more unbelievable than my coincidences. Maybe quality of coincidence counts. But once you start MANUFACTURING the numbers to prove your point it's losing quality in the big picture. There's a reason that we have a number specifically designated as "33". It's not 303. It's not because it's C=3 C=3, so CC equals 33. Which could mean orange or a zillion other things based on your personal interpretation. Which is why gematria ultimately fails in purporting to do the things asserted. The system does not reach an ultimate conclusion despite all the claims of the evidence the sheeple choose to ignore. No, we choose to ignore it because it's not evidence. Your cries of coincidence theorist is just another level of confusion in the constantly moving target of what way you choose to defend your system. So, label me a coincidence theorist if you like. I've been called a lot worse. In the meantime, real science, math, history and linguistics seems to work pretty well. I'll stick with that until something better comes along.





No comments:

Post a Comment