Tuesday, November 14, 2017

The Return Of The Chosen One - Not Just Another Football Post

I'm turning to the world of football for the data source, but this is really about the dangers of proclaiming a number must mean something while ignoring contradictory evidence.


The Hubbard preseason predictions and current commentary play up on the 98 connection. It's the 98th season, so that must mean something. The various teams mentioned have a team name gematria of 98. And at 7-2 records are doing well. Could be in the Super Bowl. I recognize that individual players with gematria of 98 don't enter the narrative, except for the afterthought that TOM BRADY = 98 is added on as supporting evidence. It was the Kelvinator's video that chose to call him THE CHOSEN ONE = 98. Even though ELI MANNING = 98 and appears on the gematrix.org search list with multiple hits. Eli and the Giants are not performing like a 98 connection style team.


So, I can't bust on Hubbard for that. I'll take satisfaction that preseason the Cowboys were declared a "lock" for the Super Bowl and has an extremely small chance of happening. When I last visited THE CHOSEN ONE, I spent limited time and found the first march using their liberal "this number is close enough" rules. Jamaal Adams of the Jets equaled 89, the mirror of 98.


Now, in the big picture of pointing out more sciency stuff that I've been doing lately we have an opportunity to play let's pretend. What if they got the bright idea that just based on ELI MANNING = 98, the Giants had a 98 connection? Restating for emphasis - they haven't done this. Except that Pittsburgh is added to the list because the team owner died 98 days before his birthday. To avoid a lamprey style argument let's assume team owner trumps individual player on a team.


What I have to work with:


1). 98 is only a two digit number.
2). There are a lot of football players on team rosters, easily researched with the internet.


For completeness, I started with the half assed hit or miss approach. Modified by recognition that Tom Brady is only eight letters. I need either a really short player name in simple or reverse, or a long one in reduction. I'll ignore reductions since Tommie is 98 in simple and kind of like cheating.


Starting with Eli, no need to do any homework on the Giants. They are not making the Super Bowl.


I next scanned through the entire San Francisco roster. I did find someone that was 908, but that was cheating. So not wanting to bother with adding middle initials (which Wikipedia generally doesn't bother with for non-star caliber players) I gave up. So, on to Cleveland. Bingo. CARL NASSIB = 98.




This process is time consuming and tedious. And hardly scientific. I have a shortcut. The internet has a list of the most common surnames. Find the short last names, check what the difference is to force the total to 98. Go to gematrix.org and find the matching first names. Type in <first name> <last name> "football" into a search engine and see if a matching player name pops up.


There are matches for ex-football players for Smith and Jones. Hardly fits the 98th season narrative established. So that's cheating and doesn't count. I found enough hits to satisfy my own curiosity.


TODD DAVIS = 98. Denver. Not doing that well.


SEAN LEE = 98. Dallas. Does bring up the question of why if Tom Brady =98 that he didn't get a mention for a 98 connection on the team proclaimed to be a Super Bowl lock. But the Dallas team name isn't 98.


Now, stop the presses!


Pittsburgh's owner has an offbeat connection to 98? How about this one?


MARK DAVIS = 98


The Raiders team owner. Super Bowl caliber? Nah.


---------------------------


If I had a real computer I'd write a program, import the rosters and find all the 98 players. I'm sure there are a bunch more. What you should get out of this exercise is that since 98 is just a number and the database to search through is large you can't prove that Tom Brady's 98 is better than the others. His 98 is better because he's Tom Brady, plays on a team that regularly boasted a great defense and gets away with cheating. Carl Nassib's 98 isn't less valuable except that it's the frigging Browns who couldn't draft a decent quarterback if the fate of the universe was at stake. Outside factors other than numerology. Best to leave the Tom Brady 98 connection out of the narrative completely. I think that with my refutation of 113 that when I get motivated I can bury any number you overemphasize. With science, math and linguistics instead of haphazard reaction to the headlines.

No comments:

Post a Comment