Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Stan Lee, A Tribute From A Semi-Rational Person

That person would be me.  I’m going to take a break from normal and post something important to me, as the time of actively updating this blog approaches.  The reason I got involved in the first place.  So, as Stan Lee has passed away this is an appropriate time since it blends the beginnings and that approaching end.

Let us begin with what’s going on in the irrational world.

As an experimental criminal psychologist I had expectations that Stan’s death would result in a minor explosion of normal people being exposed to the concept of gematria for the first time, as the pattern has been well established.  And fortunately, at least for now, I’m way off target.  370 views nine hours after the video goes up with nearly 7k subscribers is not terribly impressive.

“Numerology exists whether or not a man is killed.  It’s not interesting to everybody.”

Which is exactly to the point.  Not the intended way that it’s meant to be received, but very much  hits the nail on the head.  With the way gematria works in its current form via conspiracy theorists it is virtually impossible to not find numbers that can be created to fit whatever narrative you want.  And whine as much about who is responsible for the story there is never any real “could stand up in a court of law” or review by a rational person evidence provided.  It’s really that simple.  And really this simple.  For whatever reason, which usually comes down to money or attention with a smattering of mental illness, you are simply throwing out random numbers that could mean anything.  Whether or not a man is killed - glad to see you agree that living people have numbers.  You are, I presume, alive.  I have just as much evidence with gematria that PEDOPHILE=116 and some gematria users have names that equal 116.  But so what?  Rational people will always judge people by their actions as a demonstration of the content of their character.  Not by the color of their skin or what nationality they are.  And certainly not by frivolous small numbers that at this point you’d have to be an idiot to NOT be able to force them to fit what outrageous and patently untrue narrative you are designing for your fiction. Indeed, gematria, as you say, is not interesting to everyone.

Stan Lee was one of my childhood heroes.  The very first person I ever told my family and friends that I would like to meet in person, which sadly never happened.  There’s a reason he is admired by good and decent people.  When something is wrong it’s often way too easy to not get involved and hope the problem goes away.  But when really pressed and Urked enough, good and decent people will have individuals that rise up and meet the challenge.  There’s no way I type this and can be hypocritical to suggest that I’m not the superhero in this analogy; I absolutely am.  When good and decent people get pressed, Peter Parker stops using his new powers to get money to pay for school and turns into Spider-Man.  Or if it eases your conscience to leave me out of it, the old lady armed with only a handbag foils a pickpocket by tripping the robber, beating that robber with the bag and holds him at bay long enough for the police to arrive.  It happens.  Because it’s the right thing to do.

We’ll pretend that you’re open minded to the idea of gematria not working and stumbled on here by accident with a preconceived notion that gematria does work.  It doesn’t.  There’s an overwhelming amount of real evidence providing details of what exactly is wrong.  And frankly, some of it is so simple it’s baffling to ordinary and decent people on how you could possibly believe that gematria does work.  I’ll pull out one of my favorites, Truthseeker —> Truth=113, Dishonest=113.  There’s no “debate” involved.  Game over.  The word you should be most interested in has the same value as your single most overused number and concept.

What your doing is wrong.  It’s not okay to suggest that a woman that died of cancer is an actress in a scripted game show.  It’s not okay to suggest a Hawaiian couple that gets murdered are part of a ritual sacrifice for views on a video.  It’s not okay to pretend and fail miserably at making sports predictions to get money.  Bad ideas come from somewhere, and if you want to be part of that, well good luck trying to convince good and decent people, because it’s not going to happen.  You will be judged by your actions the same way that you intend your insensitive content be used to judge people with no actual evidence.

I was too young to have seen this when Stan Lee first published it.  I had the luxury of figuring out racism and bigotry on my own because I’m quite a bit smarter than the average person, but more importantly, just as bad ideas come from somewhere good ideas come from somewhere.  My parents where wonderful people, once they relented and allowed me to watch horror movies and read comic books.  And when my escapist entertainment occasional turns into powerful messages like this one from Stan, now being wildly recirculated on the Internet after his death, it’s proof that my parents made a good decision in allowing me my escapism.  The mind that created these powerful stories for entertainment has more depth to them than the bad guy getting socked in the face by the hero.  It’s just that many don’t realize it beyond the fact that they plopped their butt in a theater seat for two hours not regretting the $10 they spent to be entertained.  There is a reason that pro Stan Lee Tweets totaled in the millions yesterday and a ridiculous video about some small numbers can’t top 400 views nine hours later.

I will say this again, although Stan says everything you need to know in that Soapbox.  And as I have often in the past on this blog done I get to remind you that I’ve gone on a record with this before.  I have absolutely no problem if you personally are bigoted.  That’s not my problem.  It’s probably not your problem, just something you may need to live with.  But, you really, really need to come up with something a lot better than gematria to justify it since gematria absolutely does not work.  I reserve the right to think less of you for holding an illogical position with manufactured evidence as your guidelines of the way you want to live.  And in the meantime good and decent people that let good ideas hold more sway over their lives than bad ideas will always cherish the legacy of a Stan Lee far more than people that throw around frivolous numbers.  We aren’t the people that need to wake up.  You are.

Rest In Peace Stan Lee.  Far more than the characters you created, you yourself are the hero to me as well as many others.

No comments:

Post a Comment