Monday, August 27, 2018

Return To Patron Place

Just to get the whoosh taken care of- old movie you’ve never seen.  Return to Peyton Place.  Worth a look just for Carol Lynley.

Now that Brother Berg has joined the Patreon bandwagon a bit of a trend is going on.  The same format that goes against the spirit of what the site is normally used for.  So let’s try some research that is the kind of thing that ordinary people wouldn’t bother with checking.  Spoiler alert.  You wouldn’t be reading this if I didn’t have some degree of success.

The trend is, “I’ll start producing content AFTER I start getting paid.”  The Berermeister and Hubbard both do it.  I’ll start cutting your grass sometime next week, but pay me now.  That’s really not the way things are supposed to work.  We’ve got some teasers, like here - I weeded your flower bed for free.  That took me 10 minutes and look what a great job I did.  Think of how great your lawn is going to look three years later when I finally contract enough people to afford my lawn mower.  There’s nothing illegal about this approach, but people usually want something tangible to bite on, more substantial than a vague promise of good things to come.

In a video about the money making projects, Hubbard mentions that at about 100 patrons it was half as many as he had.  I don’t think so.  The most I ever saw was 156.  Regardless of the accuracy of a higher number, there is no doubt that people have dropped out.  And now the new goal is to get $2,500 per month.  In the meantime, the YouTube flower bed is being amply weeded for free on a daily basis.  So, how serious are some of the hardcore minions about this?  Did you know you can actually check Patron status on Patreon?  If they’ve created an account and you can find it, you can drill down.

I thought to myself,  I sure haven’t seen anything from Holly on FTFM, lately.  Past posts very quick to defend Zach and hugely instrumental in promoting the $5 a shot book sales.  “It’s only $5.  Suck it up you cheap little bitches.”
It would seem logical that of the 100ish Patreon subscribers now that someone talking this way about a $5 book would be willing to wait it out until the lawn mower is purchased.  This is but one sample of many posts on FTFM in the same vein.  Supposedly, Holly helped with the editing process after Zach pretended that Bookbaby was ever involved.  (Admittedly, speculation on my part.)

And by the way, it’s not just Holly.  I’ve also seen “I bought multiple copies just to support you.”   “I’d buy it except the exchange rate is a killer.”  And so on.

Anyway, back to hauling out the Holly.  It’s Christmas time in summer.  There is, despite the option of patronizing at $2 per month, no Holly support as of today.  That’s $24 a year. That’s five books, or six or seven after fees and taxes depending on how you look at it.  And there’s always the simpler option of bypassing Patreon completely and just sending him a check.

The left side of the image is probably the result of drilling down into the patron name of someone who posted a comment on Hubbard’s page that has left the platform completely.  The right side shows clearly that Holly, until they read this and try to cover up, has lost interest in donating money for weeding the flower bed and wants the damn grass cut.  As they say, “Put your money where you mouth is.”

If this is the kind of support from the community that can be expected then $2,500 a month ain’t gonna happen.  At least the ludicrous 1,000 patrons story has been set aside

I sure hope Holly wised up and stopped funding until actual results are provided. Instead of maybe a fake account with a picture and background hijacked off the Internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment