Thursday, June 14, 2018

Confirmation Manufacturing - Belief Perseverance

https://www.fs.blog/2017/05/confirmation-bias/

I have been enjoying the Anthony Bourdain video since it’s the first in a long time that got a lot of attention from some people that aren’t exclusively from the pro gematria clan. The Gematrinator has taken the time to reply to some, actually most, of the criticisms.  Having to actually field questions and comments- too much like work.

I didn’t need someone viewing my post on antonyms an hour ago to point me this way, I already had it planned since yesterday was about 119.  Whether this should be construed as NOT SUICIDE=119 in the original and at one time only system or SUICIDE=119 in Reverse is completely ambiguous as it is a form of an antonym.  Take a time out to let it sink in that the Free to Find Misinformation blog didn’t even know about the reverse system before 2016 as you think about confirmation bias, the undisputed king of cognitive biases with gematria. So time to recap confirmation bias.  From Wikipedia or numerous other alternate sources like the link I provided.  It’s the tendency to search for or interpret evidence that confirms one preexisting beliefs.  This is not a good thing if something is supposed to be handled scientifically.

Gematria Mook:  119=SUICIDE.  113 is the mainstream media number of Dishonesty.  The Bourdain story is false!
Unbiased Person:  119=NOT SUICIDE in the original system.  VERACIOUS=113 in the original system.  I fail to see how this works.

The end of the story should be:
Gematria Mook:  Oh, back to the drawing board <shuffles off>.

Instead because of belief perseverance they choose instead to defend their past work - clinging to their belief even after the contradictory information is presented.

It’s easier to see with Dan.  He’s constantly making a new often repeated number either a tribute to a past event or saves it for later, wondering if it might be for an upcoming event.  I wonder if that PHILADELPHIA number is a clue for next year’s Super Bowl.  Damn right it’s going to be.  Because the number isn’t going to change and your well established confirmation bias is going to make you remember and brag that, “This is what I was talking about last year!!  It’s undeniable!”  The others, not so often.  But this G-man comment is a rather unfortunate choice of words.

Sacha: You can do that with literally anything.
Gematrinator:  I can do this with ANY major news story, and it’s not difficult.
The Untold Reply:  Yeah, and you’ve just proved my point.

In addition to my standard fee of 10,000 tons of doobles a month, $5 for every time I mention Wollongong, £33 for every acronym my crack acronym making team creates that makes it into the Omnibus of Really Cool Acronyms (ORCA - there are some killer acronyms in that book), I get residuals for use of new terminology that sticks.  I propose the phrase confirmation manufacturing.  Not just relying on confirmation bias available, but going out of your way to create new phony evidence to try and support your belief.

I have been known to be swift to accuse gematria mooks of using the system to bring up their non gematria beliefs with a convenient crutch to provide their phony evidence.  Instead of saying that “You’re a douchebag for victim shaming Anthony Bourdain and his family and friends” I should be just sticking to the basics of manufacturing the evidence regardless of passing judgment on motivation.  I do have evidence for confirmation manufacturing due to belief perseverance as I doubt there’s anyone that’s spent more time than me sifting through the comments and finding out things like SUICIDE=119 and NOT SUICIDE=119 and subsequently seeing the reaction when the contradictory evidence is discovered.

And, don’t point people to your own blog as evidence.  All the confirmation bias in this Bourdain video is in the blog on a daily basis.  Doesn’t prove a thing.  500 useless posts is worse than 1 useless post.

No comments:

Post a Comment