Friday, February 23, 2018

The Link Between Science And Pseudoscience

An ongoing problem I have here is discussion of the main topic which is decidedly unscientific beyond a quick orientation of basic math and a veneer of scientific respectability ensconced in some heavy vocabulary (even what would be called technobabble). I do not particularly enjoy trying to find ways to say, for example, "concatenate", without actually using the word "concatenate". The same goes for every math post. Do people really care about the details of trigonometry? Unlikely.


So when I see things like discussions of "heliocentrism and the impact on flat earth and lunar eclipse mechanics like here:
https://thebeastbelowus-helio-eclipses.blogspor.com
I cringe. I'm not averse to being juvenile, but I've toned that down. The way to go about things is to be better than they are. To have the facts to back you up. So that is why....


Ok. Are they gone yet? The numerologists and maybe your parents? To hell with science for now. I just did that yesterday.


That link was bullcrap. Here's another that does work. Because I'm so not averse to being juvenile (or worried about being discovered). Maybe I had you going for a minute there.


http://freetofindtruth.blogspot.com/2018/02/33-42-47-141-142-211-ty-thompson.html


Dropped on your head?!?? What? Why on Earth would you even admit that??!


Hmm, let me think. I want to share a personal story relating how corrupt the public school system is and people keep calling me a lunatic. I know. Dropped on the head. Surely nothing can go wrong with presenting one of the oldest jokes about brain damage.
http://www.personal.psu.edu/afr3/blogs/siowfa12/2012/10/were-you-dropped-on-your-head-or-something-does-that-even-make-sense.html


Ok time out. In the unlikely event that this is the first post you've ever viewed on this blog. I am not totally insensitive. There is some truth to the being juvenile versus scientific bit. Considering the actual subject matter and constantly getting indications of how they really hate the sarcasm I indulge. I do fully realize how serious being dropped on your head as a child can be, which is why I picked the link I did instead of a more jokey link.


Anyway.


Pick your favorite conspiracy. It's probably been covered in the Fee To Find Misinformation blog. Search for that conspiracy. Think about how the conversation might go.
"So 9/11 wasn't done by terrorists with airplanes? And I see in the comments that it's a weird jumble of conflicting theories on what really happened. Lasers, thermite, holograms,...You really believe that?"
"Why, yes. Yes, I do."
"What? Were you dropped on your head as a child?"
"Why, yes. Yes, I was?"
"<snicker>"
Way, way, way too easy. It saves a lot of trouble trying to create a story of my own. I'd probably try something like the parents left the fetus to gestate in a cardboard box for the third trimester, but that runs the risk of insulting anyone who actually did gestate in a cardboard box, so I can stick with this.


Couldn't you have at least lied and create another back story? Like played football and the coach was also the school's vice principal? Post concussive syndrome is big. Or maybe you used to put the gloves on and box? These are also no laughing matter these days, but at least they bypass the "What? Are you stupid?" question. I don't think I've ever heard somebody say, "Did you ever get whacked in the head a lot as a kid playing football? That would explain a LOT." (Boxing doesn't have quite the same impact because inevitably it will remind Dan of a cardboard box.)


So how about some gematria on this? Because you can always find some connections. This was about 20 minutes work:
ZACHARY KEEFE HUBBARD=118
BRAIN TRAUMA=118
DROPPED ON HIS HEAD AS A BABY=117
PSYCHOPATHIC PERSONALITY=1,017
REPETITIVE CONCUSSIVE TRAUMA=117
And this is without even working in shoehorning unfounded claims like the reason for all the headwear (not just Hubbard) lately and whether or not he shaved his head and wears a toupee when not wearing a hat.











No comments:

Post a Comment